HEGlobal is a joint initiative between Universities UK
International and the British Council. It exists to empower UK
universities' transnational education activity (TNE). We do this
through dialogue, information and representation.
Our objectives are to:
1. Act as a hub for dialogue around TNE policy development and
2. Enable UK HEIs to maximise their TNE performance and develop
the UK HE sector's TNE capacity.
3. Provide a collective voice for UK HEIs on TNE related policy
4. Further the research knowledge and data available on TNE.
5. Promote all forms of TNE and raise awareness of its
Why focus on TNE?
TNE is education delivered in a country other than the country
in which the awarding institution is based, eg, students based in
country Y studying for a degree from a university in country Z.
More information about TNE is on this site under 'What
TNE is increasingly important to the UK's higher education
sector: more international students are enrolled on UK delivered
TNE programmes than are studying in the UK, and TNE was valued in
2014 at £496m per annum to the UK, including 11% of international
fees (based on 2012-13 data). HMGovernment's Industrial Strategy
Education: Global Growth and Prosperity' (2013) recognised the
importance of TNE to maintaining the UK's position in international
education, and looked to HEGlobal to promote TNE as a strategic and
sustainable higher education export, in order to increase its
take-up and development.